When you own an air conditioning system, it’s important to know the basics on how to test for problems, what homeowner maintenance processes can be done, and how to fix simple errors. Getting professionals to repair your system is still the most responsible and recommended thing to do, but if you need to know what’s wrong immediately, having some knowledge is better than none.
If the scope of the problem goes beyond what you know, it’s best to turn off your unit and wait for the air conditioning professionals to arrive.
Fixes for Common Air Conditioning Problems
- Just like any piece of electronic equipment, turn the unit off and on again. Some units have warm-up times, which means you can only change the temperature after the unit has been turned on for a few moments.
- Check the thermostat. Sometimes, the air conditioner blasts hot air because the thermostat is put on the wrong setting.
- Check your air filter. Something might be blocking the filter or you may have to clean or replace the filter to make the unit run smoothly again.
Air Conditioning Systems and Ice
If the problem is that the air conditioner has iced over, you can de-ice it only if you feel comfortable performing the following steps:
- Turn the unit off completely and unplug it from its power source.
- Unscrew the cover and let the unit thaw out. You can just leave it out in your garage and wait for it to completely thaw or speed up the process with a hairdryer.
- Once it’s thawed, check for condensation or pooled water. Dry these out with a towel.
- Put your unit back and plug it in. Turn it on. Only do this if you think the unit has been completely thawed.
- Replace the filter.
For Reliable Fixes, Turn to McMaster Heating & Air Conditioning
Before you go poking around or opening your unit, though, consult a professional in Orange County, CA, like McMaster Heating & Air Conditioning. We know just how to cure your air conditioning system and make it operate at its peak performance. Call us at (949) 481-7995 today.